Jamrud Fort 1870
was built by the Sikh governor of Peshawar, Hari Singh, in 1836. After
the British occupied it, they used it to mount campaigns in the
Frontier and Afghanistan and designated it a toll collection point for
the Khyber Pass. In 1878 the Khyber Rifles militia wa raised to protect
British troops on the Frontier and Jamrud Fort became its headquarters.