Lahore Fort, 1864
This photograph was taken from the steps of Badshahi Mosque and shows the square and pavilion in front of the main gate of Lahore Fort.
The garden in front of the gates is Huzuri Bagh, Royal Gardens. The
beautiful marble pavilion was built by Ranjit Singh from materials
stripped from the Mughal tombs of Emperor Jehanghir and his
brother-in-law Asaf Khan in Shahdara on Lahore's outskirts. Ranjit
Singh used to hold kutcheri, court, in this pavilion, which had
underground rooms to escape the heat. He used the mosque facing the
fort as an ammunition store.